As part of Balance-Unbalance 2017, MSAE founder and co-chair, Eric Leonardson led “The Advances In Eco-Sensing and the Soundscape: A Virtual Panel” discussion. The panel was made up of Linda Keane, Norman Long, Amanda Gutierrez, Lindsey French and Leah Barclay. Advances In Eco-Sensing and the […]
We have filled all of our spots! If you would like to be added to our waitlist please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your interest!
We are thrilled to announce a very special opportunity for a field recording workshop in collaboration with Inferno Mobile Recording Studio, Experimental Sound Studio and West Ridge Nature Preserve. This is a one day workshop that will take you outside to record the soundscapes at West Ridge Nature Preserve and learn studio processing techniques at Experimental Sound Studio. Space is limited to ensure everyone has equipment. If you are interested do not delay on registration, we will only be able to take six people!
Registration opens Friday, 6/30 at 11am and closes Friday, 7/7 at 6pm.
11am Saturday, July 18: Join members of the Midwest Society for Acoustic Ecology celebrating World Listening Day. Dan Godston, MSAE member and co-founder of the World Listening Project, leads a soundwalk starting at the Paul H. Douglas Center for Environmental Education. Tips on listening to […]
May 25-27, Spring 2012 Recordists Campout at Crex Meadows, Wisconsin Contact: Paul Dickinson email@example.com, Ron Danielson firstname.lastname@example.org, or Rich Peet email@example.com Each year since 2003, a group of ten to twenty people has gathered for the purposes of sharing and recording natural sounds. The group […]
Enjoy the natural beauty of Miller Woods. Celebrate families, soundscape, and education from 10 a.m.-4 p.m., Saturday, June 25 at the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, and honor the 25th anniversary of the Paul H. Douglas Center for Environmental Education and “Leave No Child Inside” month.
Sunday, July 18, 2010
You are invited to participate in the first World Listening Day, which happens on Sunday, July 18, 2010. The purposes of World Listening Day are:
- to celebrate the practice of listening as it relates to the world around us, environmental awareness, and acoustic ecology;
- to raise awareness about issues related to the World Soundscape Project, World Forum for Acoustic Ecology, World Listening Project, and individual and group efforts to creatively explore phonography;
- and to design and implement educational initiatives which explore these concepts and practices.
World Listening Day is being organized by the World Listening Project (WLP), in partnership with the Midwest Society for Acoustic Ecology (MSAE). July 18 was chosen as the date for World Listening Day because it is the birthday of the Canadian composer R. Murray Schafer, who is one of the founders of the Acoustic Ecology movement. The World Soundscape Project, which Schafer directed, is an important organization which has inspired a lot of activity in this field, and his book The Soundscape: Our Sonic Environment and the Tuning of the World helped to define many of the terms and background behind the acoustic ecology movement.WLP and MSAE invite you to participate in World Listening Day.
Here are several possibilities-
- You can organize a soundwalk or a listening party when people play field recordings.
- You can organize a performance event that involves field recordings and other artistic expressions that explore our soundscape and how we can listen to our sonic environment.
- You can participate in a private / solitary way, by paying attention to your soundscape.
- You can facilitate an educational event that relates to acoustic ecology, field recordings, or a similar topic.
- You can contact organizations that are participating in World Listening Day, to see if you can get involved that way.
If you would like to participate in World Listening Day, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, and be sure to include World Listening Day in the subject line.
World Listening Day includes the following organizations, projects, and individuals:
Experience nature in the city 10 a.m., Saturday at the Chicago Center for Green Technology 445 N. Sacramento Blvd. (between Lake St. and Chicago Ave.), Chicago, IL 60612 Contact: Dan Godston at email@example.com, or call 312-543-7027 You are invited to join members of the Midwest […]